Exchange 2010 OWA Issues – Blank Pages – flogon.js
Recently I went to use OWA, on an Exchange 2010 box, which was days away from going live, and I noticed that OWA wasn’t working.
It displayed a blank page and IE / Firefox / Opera showed errors with the page :
at line 6 character 1.flogon.js
After a lot of looking around, I drew the conclusion that one of the Exchange Rollup Packages was the cause. Users have been experiencing this issue with Exchange 2007 as well. This is poor !
I found this forum topic where the issue was being discussed.
I decided to take the most simple approach to solving this, using the experiences from users in the above topic. My server wasn’t live, so this approach was fine. In a production environment, it’ll have to be done out of hours.
- I opened “Programs and Features” from the control panel and clicked “Uninstall” next to Exchange 2010
- Exchange goes into Maintenance mode – Clicking next takes you to the Roles screen
- I placed a checkbox into the “Client Access Role” so that it was not selected – Click Next
- The install searched for the ExchangeSetup.msi file – I popped the original CD in and browsed to this
- I clicked next to uninstall the role – drastic you may think. But it works and isn’t too bad for the server.
- When finished I browsed to C:Program FilesMicrosoftExchange ServerV14ClientAccess and deleted – OWA, AutoDiscover, Sync and ExchWeb
- I then restarted the server
- After the restart I did exactly the same as above, other than place the check back in the box – to install the CAS role
- Then I restarted the server
OWA worked fine, 1st time, no issues at all
I hope this helps some of you.
It seems that new subfolders are created each time a rollup package is run, within the OWA client folder, which denotes to me that the files are being updated / replaced. Installing the CAS role from scratch sets up the OWA / IIS settings, with new details and uses the latest files.
That’s my take on it anyway